Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Livin the Dream


2 down, 16 more rounds of chemo to go.  I know they said that each round will get harder, I was optimistic until recently.  I am feeling much better from surgery last Tuesday.  In fact, I went to work on Wednesday and had a pretty productive day without any pain medication.  I spent the day editing videos, all I had to do was rest my forearm on my armrest and move my hand with my mouse… click, click, click. 

The following day was chemo.  It was pretty uneventful except my brother-in-law Elvin joined Andrew and Cindy, my mother in law.  The side effects of chemo crept up on my Friday, but I took some advice from a new cancer friend- take the nausea meds.  Up until this point, I wanted to stay tough and keep any unneeded meds out of my body.  Well, I figured since I had a long time left to go, I may as well at least give them a shot despite the warning of fatigue, and of course the possibility of them not working at all.  My solution, take the nausea meds and chase them with coffee. 

Elizabeth, the most curious and insightful 4 year old I know, had a grocery list of questions about my scratches from surgery.  The conversation went a little like this-
Elizabeth- “Mommy, what happened to your neck?”
Me- “I had surgery.”
Elizabeth- “But why do you have those scratches on your neck?”
Me- “They had to cut into my skin to put something inside so I don’t have to be stuck with shots and needles all the time.  Then they sewed me right back up.”
Elizabeth- “And that is why you have that cut?”
Me- “Want to see another?”
Elizabeth- “Yes.  (I show her another cut)  What is that shiny stuff on your cut?”
Me- “It is medical glue.  Only doctors who are in hospitals have medical glue.  It is VERY different then the glue you use to put your work together.  Your glue can hurt someone if you put it in their cut”
Elizabeth- “And only doctors in hospitals have medical glue?”
Me- “Yes.”
Elizabeth- “Can you get some medical glue and I can put it on you to make you feel better?”
Me- “There are a lot of cool thing hospitals have that we cannot have…”
Me- "I'm going to loose my hair."
Elizabeth- (remembering that I cut my hair so I could 'give it to someone without hair') "Is someone going to give you their hair?
Me- "No, I think I may just be bald."
Elizabeth- "I am growing my hair out like Tangled, except my hair is brown.  You can wear my Tangled wig Mommy!"
Me- "Thank you, you are so generous."
Elizabeth- "It will be beautiful... and we will have the same hair."
Elizabeth- “And so you cannot carry Ava because you have glue on your cut?”
Me- “No the cuts hurt a lot, so I just can’t carry heavy things for a while, until the cuts heal more.”
Elizabeth- “I can try to carry her for you.”
Me- “I think Daddy can help.”

For the record, I have been able to pick up Ava and other items over 10 lbs.  It is amazing how much you take for granted being able to carry multiple or heavy items.  I am just glad that I am not the left armed weakling anymore :).  Thank you to everyone who have sent cards, gifts, thoughts and blessings.  I am doing my best to respond to each person personally, please know that I read everything and I truly appreciate everyone who has thought of me over the past several weeks.  I am doing everything in my power to stay productive and positive for my family, friends, home, and work.  I am truly blessed to have such amazing people in my life!!!!

Looking forward, I have chemo this Thursday, but I have next week off.  Since my first biopsy in July, I have been a slacker when it comes to working out.  I am going to use that week to get back on track.  No surgeries, no excuses.  Even walking counts!

2 comments:

  1. Psalm 27:14 Trust the Lord! Be brave and strong and trust the Lord.
    We continue to pray for you, Andrew and the kids. We love you very much and are so proud of your courage!
    Hugs,
    George & Cec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jen!
    Craig just sent me your blog link. I'll be honest, I was very sad to hear you have to walk this road. BUT we will join you in your walk, your positive thoughts and pray for your complete recovery and remission.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete