Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Diagnosis

Jen- 8/1/12

As of a month ago, I was normal.  Just enjoying the freedom of drying up after breast feeding for 10 months, until I noticed a lump on my breast in the shower.  I thought for sure the lump had something to do with breastfeeding, but the hypochondriac inside said to go get it checked out for peace of mind. The following week I went to visit my OBGYN, we agreed that an ultrasound would be the next steps, and I was lucky to get an appointment that same day.  When the tech looked around, she didn't say much, just that the Radiologist would be in to take a look and talk to me.  The radiologist was concerned about the edges of the lump because they did not have defined borders, the lack of 'squish factor,' and other variables.   He recommended doing a mammogram to see if that could tell him any other information about the lump.  One mammogram led to two (both came back normal), then the Radiologist recommended I get a biopsy of the lump to ensure that is was nor cancer.

Later that week, Andrew and I went to see a general surgeon, who gave me a couple biopsy options.  We choose to do the more invasive option (excisional biopsy), just to ensure that 100% was removed and I wouldn't have to worry about it turning into something more later on in life.  At that time, I was confident that we would find out it was left over tissue and a few follow up ultrasounds would be needed over the course of a year.

The following Tuesday, I had my first real surgery ever.  It was kind of creepy, but I made it.  We were supposed to get the pathology report back within 48 hours of surgery.  Thursday came and went, no results.  When I called Friday, the nurse told me that the doctor would be calling me.  I found that odd, but was not sure if that was their procedure or something bad was about to be announced.  Friday at 6 pm, we received a phone call from the surgeon.  Breast Cancer.

3 comments:

  1. Jen and Andrew I am here praying for you and having you all and the kiddos on my heart heavely. I love you all so much. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you guys and sending lots of prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazing wife and mother to your family...tag on an awesome sister and daughter as well! I am so thankful you made the choice to be thorough and invasive :) Praying for you to seek the Lord in each step of the journey ahead. Isaiah says "When we walk through the fire, we will not be burned. And when we are caught by the waters, you will not be overtaken.".... God is here in the fire and the flood, He allows it when it seems unfair and unbelievable, but He promises that it will not overtake us when He is the source of strength. Your hubby is wonderful and you are loved by so many, as you have seen already, and our God is "Jehovah Jirah-the God who heals". I cannot wait to fill the "?" mark with a definite number and celebrate healing victory :) I love you Jen!

    ReplyDelete